Internationally renowned independent requirements specialist based in the UK. Provides requirements engineering training, coaching and consulting. Has carried out requirements engineering projects in domains including aerospace, defence, automotive, industrial plant design, rail and software systems. Experienced in facilitating creativity and innovation workshops to generate novel requirements and design ideas. Lead author of Easy Approach to Requirements Syntax (EARS), a mechanism to gently constrain natural language requirements. EARS is widely used in industry by companies including Bosch, Honeywell, Intel, Rolls-Royce and Siemens and is also taught at numerous universities. Accomplished speaker who has delivered keynotes and invited presentations at international requirements engineering and systems engineering conferences.
Requirements capture, documentation and analysis; Use cases and scenarios; Consulting; Coaching; Facilitation; Team leading; UML and SysML; Requirements training development and delivery; Facilitating innovation and creativity.
- Lead author of Easy Approach to Requirements Syntax (EARS), used in numerous blue-chip companies worldwide and taught at many universities.
- Requirements engineering (RE) for multi-million pound projects such as control system of the Trent 900 engine for Airbus A380 and Trent 1000 for Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
- Developed RE training for Rolls-Royce and others, delivered to over 2000 engineers.
- Developed RE workshops (on topics such as Introduction to RE, EARS, Scenarios, Creativity) delivered at international RE and systems engineering conferences.
- Industry Chair for the IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference 2013 (IEEE RE13), Industry Lab Chair for IEEE RE14, Industry Committee for IEEE “RE” conference for 10 years. “IEEE RE” is the major international RE conference, typically attracting around 300 attendees.
- Keynotes, invited presentations and panels at various conferences and events including IEEE RE, International Working Conference on Requirements Engineering: Foundations for Software Quality (REFSQ), British Computer Society (BCS), International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE), Sophist, IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE).
Rolls-Royce – Requirements Specialist (2004-2018)
- Requirements engineering training, coaching and support in departments including Future Programmes, Installations and Controls, Design Systems Engineering and Control Systems.
Praxis Critical Systems – Requirements Consultant (2001-2004)
- Requirements consultant to companies including Rolls-Royce, Bombardier Transportation, BAE Systems and London Underground.
City University – Research Assistant (1999-2001)
BSc. Business Computing Systems 1st class, City University London. Best Project Prize.
- Most Influential Industrial Innovation Paper awarded by IEEE RE19 for “Easy Approach to Requirements Syntax”.
- Best Paper at Advances in Risk and Reliability Technology Symposium (ARRTS) 2015.
- Best Presentation at INCOSE UK Annual Systems Engineering Conference 2013.
Qualifications and Professional Bodies
CEng, IEEE, British Computer Society (BCS), BCS RE Specialist Group committee.